The Central Block building of the Negros Oriental Provincial Hospital (NOPH) in this capital city would need more than P300-million to complete the project that aims to accommodate more patients as current hospital admissions have gone beyond its ideal capacity.
NOPH chief of hospital Dr. Felix Sy on Friday disclosed that while the project is expected to commence by June this year, the provincial government has so far allocated only P58-million for the building.
The four-story building inside the NOPH compound is estimated to cost at least P300 million to P400 million alone, to exclude facilities, equipment, supplies and other logistics, said Sy.
Once completed the Central Block building is expected to decongest the old building that was originally built for a 250-bed capacity, but at times, patient admissions rise to as much as 500, with some patients already being accommodated along the hospital’s corridors, according to Dr. Sy.
Many patients from nearby provinces also seek treatment at NOPH, which is so far the only tertiary government-run hospital in Negros Oriental.
Dr. Sy disclosed that staff members of Vice President Jejomar Binay visited the NOPH recently and asked about the hospital’s status and how they could help.
Sy said the provincial government has written the Secretary Enrique Ona of the Department of Health, through the office of Vice President Binay, for possible funding of the NOPH’s Central Block building.
Another option is for the provincial government to begin the project with existing funds and complete at least two levels for patient wards, and hopefully this can be completed this year.
The Central Block building was conceptualized during the time of then Gov. Emilio Macias II, who after being re-elected last May 10, 2010, died on June 13 of the same year.
Gov. Roel Degamo has promised to continue the construction of the building, which will house patient wards, the operating room, the emergency room, and the delivery room, among others, said Dr. Sy.