The show must go on.
Gov. Roel Degamo says that the province is determined to push through with the Buglasan Festival showdown, one of the main activities of the Buglasan Festival of Festivals, on October 12-21.
While no town or city had confirmed their participation last week, there were indications that six or seven local government units would be participating in the festival showdown, which is main highlight of the Buglasan, said Dr. Nichol Elman, co-director of the festival.
The cities of Canlaon and Dumaguete and the towns of Mabinay, Sibulan, Dauin, Valencia, Siaton and possibly Sta. Catalina, are also expected to join the booth contest, which has been named LGU-Industrial Booth/Exhibits/Gimmicks, at the Freedom Park.
The Province will give a seed money of P100,000 to each LGU that is participating in the booth competition at the Freedom Park grounds. This will be separate from the booths already installed at the Sidlakang Negros Village, which has year-round exhibits from the towns and cities of the Province.
Degamo said that the decision to place booths at the Freedom Park resulted from a survey wherein 95 percent of those asked wanted the booths to be placed at the Capitol grounds.
This year’s Buglasan Festival, set Oct. 12 to 21, will have more than 85 activities, 17 of which are sports-related events.
Degamo said he understands the predicament of some mayors for their non-participation in the cultural festival of festivals due to financial constraints, but he appealed to them to set aside partisan politics and celebrate the fiesta of the province.
The provincial government has also opened said the Buglasan for barangay participation, which will be a first time in the Buglasan’s several years of existence.
The annual Buglasan Festival of Festivals will kick off on Oct. 12 this year with a city-wide civic-military parade at 2 p.m. followed by an ecumenical service and opening salvo production at the Capitol Forecourt Stage.
The streetdancing and showdown, which are among the festival’s highlights, will be on Oct.19 with the showdown to start at 8 a.m. at the Lamberto Macias Sports and Cultural Complex and the streetdance at 2 p.m.
Concerns for security is given topmost priority by the governor with the setting up of CCTV cameras in three major areas, namely, the Freedom Park , the Sidlakan Negros Village and the Rizal Boulevard, which is the venue of the fireworks competition.
Philippine National Police provincial director Sr. Supt. Edward Carranza said augmentation forces will be deployed in strategic places. (with PNA/PIA reports)