Gov. Roel Degamo recently issued Executive Order 15-6, dated May 28, directing the apprehension of violators of the law on use of government vehicles owned by the provincial government.
The order is directed to the National Bureau of Investigation, the Provincial Highway Patrol Group, the Land Transportation Office, and Senior Supt. Mariano Natu-el Jr., director of the Philippine National Police.
Six vehicles were ordered by Degamo to be returned to the motorpool for registration, including the Montero Sports of Vice Gov. Edward Mark Macias, with plate No. SJL-122.
The five others are the Strada vehicles assigned to Board Member Edmund Dy with Plate No. SJZ-304, Strada with Plate No. SJZ-325 issued to Board Member Peve Ligan, Strada with Plate No. SJZ -314 issued to Board Member Georgita Martinez, Strada with Plate No. SJZ-315 issued to Board Member Jessica Koppin, and the white pick-up with Plate No. SHT-365, issued to Board Member Mariant Escano Villegas.
The memorandum receipts for the officials have been revoked and cancelled, but despite written orders for their return, the officials reportedly said they will not return them.
Degamo has directed the agencies to apprehend those he considered as violators of the law, including their agents and any other persons acting for them, and turn over the vehicles to the provincial government.
He said their continued use and possession of the vehicles without the consent of the provincial government is unlawful, and renders the vehicles as carnapped.
Board Members Liland Estacion and Erwin Macias have voluntarily returned their vehicles months before the executive order was issued.
The Strada vehicle, with plate no. SJZ-301, issued to Board Member Melimoore Saycon was the first to be intercepted earlier this year.
But Vice Governor Macias said yesterday they are not returning the vehicles and are questioning the legality of the executive order.
Appropriation Ordinance No. 37, series of 2010 for their purchase was passed during the time of the late Gov. Agustin Perdices, and was signed by Degamo when he was the vice governor, Macias said.
Macias and the other BMs are also questioning is the motive behind the executive order that he believes to be political in nature, apparently referring to the ongoing tiff between the executive and legislative branches of the provincial government over the intelligence fund and medical mission fund of the governor that the Sangguniang Panlalawigan had earlier deleted from the provincial budget.
Macias hinted that the governor was perhaps getting back at them in this manner “because he does not like the decisions we make” at the SP.*JFP/JG