After initially withdrawing from hosting the PSC-POC Philippine National Games, the City of Dumaguete and the Province of Negros Oriental have agreed to jointly host the games set on May 27-June 2.
Dumaguete Mayor Manuel Sagarbarria told the MetroPost that PSC Commissioner Jolly Gomez came to Dumaguete Tuesday to offer the hosting to the City one more time.
“I agreed to host the PNG on condition that the Province of Negros Oriental co-host the games and Gov. Roel Degamo agreed,” Sagarbarria said.
Most of the athletic facilities in Dumaguete City, such as the Lamberto Macias Sports and Cultural Center, the Gov. Mariano Perdices Memorial Coliseum and the Lorenzo G. Teves Aqua Center, are owned by the Province of Negros Oriental.
Sagarbarria also said that he also got the commitment of Silliman and Foundation Universities of their full cooperation in hosting the PNG.
Sagarbarria had earlier written Commissioner Gomez informing him the city was declining the staging of the event in the wake of the magnitude 6.9-magnitude earthquake that jolted the province in February.
It was the second major disaster to hit the area less than two months after flash floods triggered by Typhoon “Sendong,” claimed numerous lives and destroyed millions of pesos in property in Dumaguete and Negros Oriental.