An apparently irked Gov. Roel Degamo yesterday ordered the Negros Oriental Police Provincial Office to submit a full and updated report on the crime situation in the province.
Degamo said he feels frustrated that the NOPPO representatives failed to produce an updated report during the meeting of the Provincial Peace and Order Council at the old session hall of the Capitol, attended by heads of government agencies.
For still unknown reasons, NOPPO OIC director, Supt. Alet Virtucio, did not attend the PPOC meeting, making it more difficult for Degamo and other Council members to get clarifications on their concerns.
It was the second time this year that the PNP failed to present a complete report on crime statistics in Negros Oriental, and for Virtucio to be represented by a junior officer.
Degamo said in an interview that he wanted to be updated on the real situation in the province, and also in Dumaguete City, where a spate of killings last year and this year has caught public attention.
He cited the latest shooting incident involving a councilor in Guihulngan City Tuesday. He said he has directed Virtucio to enhance police operations and report on what the NOPPO has done, so far, in responding to criminalities.
He said he hopes a comprehensive report will be presented to the body soon.
He also called on the PNP hierarchy anew to fast-track the appointment of a full-fledged director for Negros Oriental to address its peace and order and crime concerns.
Degamo said the province needs a police director with the rank of senior superintendent.
The name of Senior Supt. Orlando Oualat has been floated as the next NOPPO director, and Degamo said he will be happy to welcome him but on an OIC status.
He said he has not received yet the list of names of three qualified PNP officers from which he will choose the director for Negros Oriental.*JFP